CELEBRATING OUR 60TH ANNIVERSARY
MALLALA MOTORSPORT PARK
1941 where it all began
The RAAF base at Mallala was built in 1941 during World War II. The base was used by the military, primarily as a flying school, until it closed in 1960.
1961 MALLALA MOTOR RACING CIRCUIT WAS BORN
The Mallala Race Circuit, as it was originally known, was built on the site of the former Mallala RAAF Base. The venue was built by a group of enthusiasts as a replacement for the closing Port Wakefield Circuit. The venue opened on the 19th of August 1961, with the following meeting being the Australian Grand Prix on 9th October 1961.
The original track distance was 3.4km in length, but reduced to 2.6km in late 1964.
Mallala was South Australia's home of motor racing from 1961 through to 1971 and hosted a round of the Australian Drivers Championship every year through that period. The track also hosted The Australian Tourist Trophy in 1962 and 1968, as well as the single round 1963 Australian Touring Car Championship.